This will be my last post for several weeks, so I thought I’d quiz you on your knowledge of anything scary and Halloween. MWAHHHH! I’ll provide the answers upon my return. Please post your answers in the comments, and whether or not you participate in the quiz, please leave a comment regarding your favorite candy. My all-time favorite is the Honeycombed Peanut Candy. I LOVE these and haven’t had one in years.
Get ready, set, Boo!
1) Where did Halloween originate?
It started with the ancient Celtic festival, Samhain, where people lit bonfires and wore costumes to ward off ghosts.
2) What is Halloween an abbreviation of?
All Hallow’s Eve
3) What year and which U.S. city celebrated Halloween first?
Anoka, Minnesota on Oct. 31. 1920
2nd. Christmas is first.
5) Which U.S. President and his wife watched children carve pumpkins in the White House?
Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter
6) Who wrote The Legend of Sleepy Hollow?
7) Which part of Halloween is the least observed in Germany?
Trick or Treating
8) What is it called to have a morbid fear of Halloween?
9) Before we carved and dubbed the pumpkin the Jack O’Lantern, what was the traditionally carved vegetable?
10) Which town is linked to Bram Stoker’s Dracula where goths still gather over a weekend around Halloween?
11) In the original movie, Halloween, Michael’s mask was adapted and painted of which famous person?
A $2 Star Trek (1966) William Shatner mask – the eyes were widened.
12) The highest grossing box office horror movie ever made.
13) How long did it take to film the original movie, Halloween?
20 days in the spring of 1978
14) What famous person died on Halloween after being shot more than 30 times by his/her own bodyguards?
Indira Gandhi – Prime minister of India
15) What strong, independent woman, founder of a girl’s club, was born on Halloween?
Juliette Gordon Low – Founder of the Girl Scouts of America
16) What was the first wrapped penny candy in the U.S?
Tootsie Roll, introduced in 1896
17) Who inspired the fictional character of Dracula in Bram Stoker’s novel?
Vlad Dracula – nicknamed Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler)
18) What does folklore say it means when you see a spider in your house on Halloween?
The spirit of a loved one who died is watching over you.
19) Name five horror movies inspired by real life events.
A Nightmare on Elm Street, Amityville Horror, The Exorcist, The Girl Next Door, The Conjuring
20) What singer/actor’s son played in the 1980 movie, Friday the 13th?
Harry Crosby, Bing Crosby’s son.
21) Where did the name “Elm Street” come from in the movie, A Nightmare on Elm Street?
It was named after Elm Street in Wheaton, IL where Wes Craven went to college.
22) How many accused witches were burned at the stake in Salem, Massachusetts?
None. 19 were taken to Gallows Hill to die by hanging.
Ghouls and Goblins,